This engagement opportunity is now closed. Thank you for your comments!
The NWT recovery strategy for Peary caribou will be finalized in July 2024.
The public was invited to comment on a proposed recovery strategy for Peary caribou in the NWT by October 31, 2023.
Peary caribou are considered a species at risk in the Northwest Territories. They were listed as a Threatened species in 2014 under the Species at Risk (NWT) Act. Under the Act, a recovery strategy must be developed for a Threatened species. The strategy will provide guidance on the long-term conservation and recovery of Peary caribou in the NWT.
Comments on the recovery strategy for Peary caribou can be submitted by completing a survey or by sending your comments to the Species at Risk Secretariat.
Species at Risk Secretariat
PO Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT, X1A 2L9
Toll-free: 1 (855) 783-4301
Fax: (867) 873-0293
About the proposed recovery strategy
The proposed NWT recovery strategy builds on the federal Recovery Strategy for the Peary Caribou (Rangifer tarandus pearyi) in Canada, published in 2022—and points to the Species at Risk Committee’s species status report for Peary caribou (2022) for the most recent Indigenous, community and scientific knowledge on Peary caribou in the NWT.
The NWT recovery strategy has two parts:
- The federal recovery strategy for Peary caribou, which recommends population and distribution objectives for the conservation and recovery of Peary caribou, and approaches to achieve these objectives; and
- An addition from the Northwest Territories, which describes positive influences and provides updated information on Peary caribou in the NWT.
The NWT addition was developed collaboratively by the Conference of Management Authorities (CMA)—the wildlife co-management boards and governments that share responsibility for Peary caribou in the NWT. All CMA decisions are made by consensus.
Members of the CMA for Peary caribou are: Wildlife Management Advisory Council (NWT) and Government of the Northwest Territories.
- Peary caribou recovery strategy fact sheet
- Proposed Recovery Strategy for Peary Caribou in the NWT
- Peary Caribou Status Report and Reassessment (2022)