The Species at Risk Committee is established under the Species at Risk (NWT) Act to assess the biological status of species that may be at risk in the NWT.
The Committee uses the best available information from Indigenous, community and scientific knowledge to determine whether a species is at risk of disappearing from the NWT. This information is captured in a species status report.
This report includes information about species biology, population, distribution, threats and positive influences. Community observations and concerns and impacts on cultural practices such as harvesting are also considered in the assessment.
The Species at Risk Committee uses the assessments to recommend whether a species should be added to the NWT List of Species at Risk. Conservation actions may also be recommended.
- Learn about the NWT's dual assessment process here.
- Consult the NWT species assessment schedule here.
- See which species have been assessed and read their status reports here.
Who they are
All the members of the Species at Risk Committee are experts on species, habitat, northern ecosystems or conservation. Their expertise comes from Indigenous knowledge, community knowledge or science. They do not represent the group that appointed them, or anyone else. They act as independent experts.
Species at Risk Committee members are appointed by the four wildlife co-management boards established under settled land claim and self-government agreements, the Government of Canada, and the Government of the Northwest Territories (represented by the Minister of Environment and Climate Change (ECC)). In areas without settled land claims, members are appointed by the Minister of ECC after consultation with the appropriate groups. Appointments are for up to five years and can be renewed.
Committee members as of February 2024
- Chairperson: Leon Andrew - member appointed by Ɂehdzo Got’ı̨nę Gots’ę́ Nákedı (Sahtú Renewable Resources Board)
- Alternate Chairperson: Dr. Suzanne Carrière - member appointed by the Minister of Environment and Climate Change (ECC)
- Dr. Nicholas (Nic) Larter - member appointed by the Minister of ECC
- Ms. Lynda Yonge - member appointed by the Minister of ECC
- Mr. Petter Jacobsen - member appointed by the Minister of ECC, on the advice of the Conference of Management Authorities
- Mr. Sam Bullock - member appointed by the Minister of ECC, on the advice of the Conference of Management Authorities
- Mr. Bobby Migwi - member appointed by the Wek'èezhìı Renewable Resources Board
- Mr. Darren Campbell - member appointed by the Gwich'in Renewable Resources Board
- Ms. Kelby Ogryzlo - member appointed by the Government of Canada
- Ms. Aimee Guile - alternate appointed by the Wek'èezhìı Renewable Resources Board
- Mr. Robert Charlie-Tetlichi - alternate member appointed by the Gwich'in Renewable Resources Board
Brief biographies of Species at Risk Committee members and alternate members are available.
Contact the Species at Risk Committee
Species at Risk Committee
c/o Species at Risk Secretariat
PO Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT, X1A 2L9
Toll-free: 1 (855) 783-4301
Fax: (867) 873-0293