The public is invited to comment on the proposed re-listing of Peary caribou and boreal caribou on the NWT List of Species at Risk as Threatened species
Both species are currently listed as Threatened in the NWT. The listing extension would add 10 years to the current listing term.
Please consider the following questions when providing comments:
- Should Peary caribou and/or boreal caribou remain listed as Threatened species on the NWT List of Species at Risk? Why or why not?
- Both species were listed as Threatened in the NWT in 2014. How has the listing of these species affected you or your community? Would the re-listing have positive or negative impacts? What would they be?
- Is there new or missing information that was not considered in the status reports for these species? If so, can you provide it to us or tell us where to find it?
Comments on the reassessments and potential re-listing of Peary caribou and boreal caribou can be submitted by completing a survey (links below) or by sending your comments to the Species at Risk Secretariat by October 31, 2022.
Species at Risk Secretariat
PO Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
Phone (toll-free): 1 (855) 783-4301
Fax: (867) 873-0293
- About Peary caribou
- Public engagement survey - Peary caribou re-listing (English)
- Public engagement survey - Peary caribou re-listing (French)
- Status Report and Reassessment of Peary Caribou in the NWT (2022)
- Réévaluation du caribou de Peary aux Territoires du Nord-Ouest (2022)