About the Species At Risk Committee
What is their mandate?
The Species at Risk Committee is established under the Species at Risk (NWT) Act to assess the biological status of species that may be at risk in the NWT.
As part of the assessment, the Species at Risk Committee identifies threats and positive influences to species and their habitats. They may also recommend conservation actions.
The Species at Risk Committee uses the assessments to recommend whether a species should be added to the NWT List of Species at Risk.
Who are they?
All the members of the Species at Risk Committee are experts on species, habitat, northern ecosystems or conservation. Their expertise comes from Indigenous knowledge, community knowledge or science. They do not represent the group that appointed them, or anyone else. They act as independent experts.
Species at Risk Committee members are appointed by the four wildlife co-management boards established under settled land claim and self-government agreements, the Government of Canada, and the Government of the Northwest Territories (represented by the Minister of Environment and Climate Change (ECC)). In areas without settled land claims, members are appointed by the Minister of ECC after consultation with the appropriate groups. Appointments are for up to five years.
Committee members as of January 2023
- Chairperson: Leon Andrew - member appointed by Ɂehdzo Got’ı̨nę Gots’ę́ Nákedı (Sahtú Renewable Resources Board)
- Alternate Chairperson: Dr. Suzanne Carrière - member appointed by the Minister of Environment and Climate Change (ECC)
- Dr. Nicholas (Nic) Larter - member appointed by the Minister of ECC
- Mr. Moise Rabesca - member appointed by the Wek'èezhìı Renewable Resources Board
- Ms. Lynda Yonge - member appointed by the Minister of ECC
- Mr. Arthur Beck - member appointed by the Minister of ECC, on the advice of the Northwest Territory Métis Nation
- Ms. Rosemin Nathoo - member appointed by the Wildlife Management Advisory Council (NWT)
- Mr. Petter Jacobsen - member appointed by the Minister of ECC, on the advice of the Conference of Management Authorities
- Mr. Sam Bullock - member appointed by the Minister of ECC, on the advice of the Conference of Management Authorities
- Mr. Daniel Beck - alternate to Mr. Arthur Beck
- Ms. Aimee Guile - alternate to Mr. Moise Rabesca
Brief biographies of Species at Risk Committee members and alternate members are available.
Contact the Species at Risk Committee
Species at Risk Committee
c/o Species at Risk Secretariat
PO Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT, X1A 2L9
Toll-free: 1 (855) 783-4301
Fax: (867) 873-0293